Wednesday 20 May 2009

Awen's Ploughman's


I discovered this during my adventure in London last weekend. The English are (unfairly) famous for having a boring cuisine, but this pate-like salad (adapted from the "original" by me) was a sensation last night at the "1001 Nights" theme potluck. I told two H. C. Andersen tales with it (Twelve Wild Swans and Little Match Girl). Legend has it that this recipe was invented sometime betwixt the 50s and the 60s to boost cheese sales, so you're basically free to change, substitute, fix and mess up with all ingredients, but I do encourage you to use cheese and pickled onions every time--they're the traditional part of the recipe.
Ingredients:

250g Gouda cheese (the traditionals are mature Cheddar and Red Leicester)
~ 200g pickled onions
~ 200g pickled cucumber
1 cucumber or gherkin
1 iceberg lettuce
100g Cream (I used soy-based vegan cream, but you can use even mayo)
A handful mustard seeds
Salt and white pepper
Sliced wholemeal bread

Mince or cut in very small pieces half of the lettuce and the rest of the ingredients. I used a food processor. Then season and mix with the cream. Leave the other half of the lettuce to serve on the bread. Serve cool-cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment